Reset password for QuickBooks Admin and other users
For your security, QuickBooks Desktop requires a password to be entered every time you access your company file. QuickBooks automatically creates the Admin user for you, then you can create additional users with their own usernames and passwords.
This article helps you reset your QuickBooks Desktop password if there are security updates or other unforeseen circumstances.
Password tips and other reminders
- Use complex passwords: at least 7 characters (letters, numbers, special characters), at least 1 number, at least one uppercase letter.
- Passwords are case sensitive. Check the Caps Lock and Num Lock keys. One (or both) might be on, or could have been on when you created the password.
- Passwords cannot contain space(s).
- A login screen that asks for a password but does not ask for a user name is the Administrator’s login screen. If you have a non-admin login, close QuickBooks,then reopen it.
- Go to Company, select Set Up Users and Passwords, and then choose Change Your Password.
- Enter your current password.
- Set up your new password and a challenge question, then select OK.
Reset password using your challenge question
- In the QuickBooks Desktop login screen, select I forgot my password.
- Answer the security question and select OK.
- Select Close when you see this message: Your password and challenge answer and question have been removed, and your company file is no longer password-protected. When you close this window, you will be asked to create your new password and select and answer your challenge question.
- Enter a new password and new challenge question then select OK.